Thousands of people can their own foods at home, and more people are getting involved in this form of food preservation all of the time. Canning is not something you should just jump right into though, there are some basics that need to be known to avoid problems with the food spoiling when not preserved properly. It is also very easy to get sick eating canned food if it is not canned the proper way.
We love to provide resources for our customers, and since home canning is so popular we figured a good resource on the topic would be helpful to many of you. In this post we cover some food preservation basics, as well as safety tips, and last but not least, links to some nice canning label templates.
The holiday seasons are a great time for giving, and giving friends and family some of your delicious homemade preserves can make a very nice gift.
Beginner Canning Resources
- Home Canning FAQ – Here is an excellent resource for home canning beginners. This guide covers the most basic canning techniques and goes into some of the more complex techniques and tips.
- A Beginners Guide to Canning – This is a great guide for beginners and it can give you a basic understanding about how canning works, the history of canning, and advice and directions for getting started.
- Food in Jars – Canning 101 – Food in Jars is a popular site that is dedicated to providing reliable and relevant information about canning. The Canning 101 page on their site is a good one, and it covers a wide range of topics to answer your simple to tough questions.
- National Center for Home Food Preservation – The NCHFP website is a very important resource that is loaded with all kinds of quality information related to home food preservation.
- Complete Guide to Home Canning – Having a handy guide to reference when you are just getting started with canning can be a nice asset. Here is a complete guide to home canning created by the USDA.
- Keeping Your Family Safe – When it comes to home canning there are many important factors that you need to pay attention to. This article goes over some of these things so you ensure the health of you and your family.
- Home Canning and Botulism – Botulism is a rare, but very dangerous disease that is caused by a bacteria called “Clostridium botulinum”. Improperly preserved canned goods can develop the spores that can cause botulism, so following proper canning procedures is important to prevent the disease.
- Home Canning Safety Tips – Canning safety is extremely important since canned foods can become a breeding ground for germs if they are not preserved properly.
- Safety First when Home Canning – This article gives a nice overview of home canning procedures and safety precautions. The more you learn about home canning safety, the safer all of your canned goods will be.
Canning Label Templates
- Garden Therapy Free Printable Canning Labels – Garden Therapy has some nice canning label templates that work great with 2″ round labels that are meant for mason jar lids.
- Canning Lid Label Designs – Here are some more nice free label downloads to help make your canning project be more organized. In addition to these canning labels, the site also has some excellent free Christmas label downloads.
- Free Mason Jar Label Designs – Limeshot has another nice selection of canning labels for you to download, they also include instructions on how they use these styles of labels. If you prefer to avoid the glue you can purchase the blank labels to print them on.
- Printable Jam Labels – This site has these awesome jam labels that you can download if jellies are what you plan on canning. Jams make great holiday gifts for friends and loved ones as well, so these labels can help you give a nice personalized, homemade gift.
- Canning Labels – Here is a selection of high quality labels that will work perfect for any canning project that you are working on.